Turmeric. Prior to the last few months, I never would envision using it in anything else other than food. But to my surprise, the spice works superbly well in drinks. I’m sure turmeric-infused iced beverages are delightful, but my first instinct tells me to keep it bold and warm. Create something I can pour into a mug and cozy up with during chilly desert nights. Without a doubt, golden milk was my answer.
Much like a savory chai, this drink warms me to the core with every sip. I love the heat produced from spices that have been simmering away on the stove. Maple syrup is a nice change from traditional honey used in golden milk, and I discovered this qualifies my drink as a vegan-friendly option. So enjoy my vegan friends! And while this drink is wonderful strained right off the stove into a mug to enjoy immediately, I figured no one would mind a bit of decadence from homemade whipped coconut cream. I love how it floats beautifully over a slightly frothy sea of spiced-coconut milk.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ¼ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ground cinnamon (for serving)
- 1 can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small pot and on medium-high heat, add all the golden milk ingredients for the exception of the ground cinnamon. Whisk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop the cream from the can of coconut cream in to a bowl. Save the coconut juice for another use. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and whip with a blender until thick.
- Strain the golden milk over 2 mugs and top with coconut cream and ground cinnamon.
If you’d like to learn more about world spices, please subscribe to my YouTube channel. With Andrew Gooi behind the camera and editing away, the videos are meant to inspire you to view ingredients with an open mind. I want you to get creative in the kitchen and prepare meals with confidence. More videos will be released in the coming weeks, so please be on the look out.