For some reason, foods that are equally zesty and sweet seem perfect for new beginnings. There’s something simply refreshing about them. Try these Pistachio and Cardamom Buns with an Orange Vanilla Glaze on for size. You’ll be happy at how easy they are to make and even more ecstatic about enjoying them at midnight.
- 1 premade pizza dough
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup roasted and lightly salted pistachios, shells removed
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- Optional garnish: thyme sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle that is about a ¼-inch thick.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, pistachios and cardamom evenly over the dough.
- Roll the dough, beginning from the long side, into a tube-shape. Stretch the dough slightly to give it more length.
- Cut the dough in half to create two long pieces.
- Cut one piece of dough lengthwise down the center, creating two long halves. Braid the dough by overlapping the halves and pinching the ends. Form a circular shape by bringing the ends together and tucking one end under the other. Repeat this step with the other piece of dough.
- Place both on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the buns evenly with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the dough is cooked through and golden.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the orange vanilla glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the warm buns.
- Garnish with thyme, if you prefer, before serving.
For more New Year’s Eve inspiration and recipes, click here.
Photos courtesy of Jessica Downey Photo