Thank you Sprouts Farmers Market for sponsoring today’s delicious cookie recipe!
If you want a spiced cookie that reminds you of gingersnaps and melts with every bite, Filbert Snaps are perfect. These cookies have traditional fall spices, plus hazelnuts (also known as filberts), honey and black pepper. It’s everything you hope for in a wholesome, spiced cookie.
Can I be honest with you? I’ve been making these cookies for the past eight years I think. It’s my favorite holiday cookie hands down. So much so that when I invented it, I decided after the first bite I would keep it a secret forever. But then I thought, why wouldn’t I share it? I love creating new recipes that are my own, but better yet, I enjoy helping others discover new flavors in their kitchens. Flavors they would never think of combining, like the pairing of hazelnuts and black pepper in a cookie.
The black pepper is my favorite part of this treat actually. It gives the cookie an unexpected spiciness. Really, anything that incorporates fall spices could use a pinch of black pepper in my opinion. I just love it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup cinnamon sugar (mix equal parts ground cinnamon and white sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment; set aside.
- Thoroughly whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and black pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Place the shortening in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually beat in the following ingredients into the shortening: white sugar, brown sugar, egg and honey.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mix into the shortening mixture; beat until combined. Then, add the remainder of the flour mix into the batter until a soft dough is formed.
- Using a spatula, fold in the rolled oats and hazelnuts.
- Create 1-inch balls of cookie dough, and roll in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Place the rolled cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for approximately 10 minutes; the top of the cookie will be a bit rounded and cracked when done.
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack; enjoy!
Make sure you get your cookie fix by stopping into your local Sprouts Farmers Market this week. The Incredible Bulk Sale is happening as you read this, which is perfect for gathering all the essentials for making my Filbert Snaps. That means you can raid the bulk bins and get 25 percent off your ingredients! If you decide to be a part of this great event and bake this recipe, make sure you share your experience using the hashtag #IncredibleBulkBinTreatExchange. I’d love to see your baked goods on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and any other place you decide to share. Better yet, post a picture of you and your family baking and making memories. That’s the best part of the holidays right? Happy baking!