It’s been a while since I’ve made homemade puppy treats which is incredibly odd considering how much I love to bake them. My pups love when I make them too – of course! With plenty of beef bouillon cubes tucked away in my pantry and leftover cheddar cheese waiting to be consumed in my refrigerator, I couldn’t think of a better way to use both ingredients than in some yummy Cheesy Beefy Treats. The combination of cheese and beef along with hearty oats makes the perfect snack for any pup. Mine absolutely love them.
Since I have a large and small fur-kid, I cut mine to size for each pup. This recipe makes approximately 3 dozen treats for a medium-large dog and makes almost 3 times as many for a smaller pup. As you’ll notice in the picture, I cut mine the same way you would graham crackers; no reason in particular, I just thought it would be cute. Milk bone and heart shapes would be darling as well.
- 1 cup water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small pot, boil the water with the beef boullion cubes on high heat until the cubes dissolve. Transfer the beef mixture to a large bowl and add the oats; allow this mixture to sit for 10 minutes. Beat the cornmeal, milk, cheese and egg into the oat mixture until combined. (It will look lumpy.) Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time.
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead until the dough becomes smooth and a ball is formed. Roll the dough to a 1/2" thickness. Using a cookie cutter or a knife, cut out square, circle or milk bone shapes and place the cut dough on the prepared baking sheet 1" apart. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on the baking sheet; store in a loosely covered container.