Thank you to Sprouts Farmers Market for sponsoring today’s recipe.
Should we be surprised that I’m starting 2017 with something a bit more healthy. Don’t worry, it’s nothing boring. In fact, these zippy Mint Pesto Cauliflower and Kale Bowls have an herby, citrusy flavor I know you’ll love. It starts with riced cauliflower I picked up from Sprouts Farmers Market. A trending ingredient this year, cauliflower has a neutral flavor that makes it exceptional to work with when you want to highlight sauces, vinaigrettes and other homemade condiments.
In this case, I wanted to keep riced cauliflower the star by dressing it with a homemade mint pesto that contains delicious walnuts. To ensure it could be served as a main dish, I added more body to the mixture with green peas and freshly sliced red radishes. A bit of greens and squeeze of lemon juice and there you have it, a healthy recipe that deserves a million gold stars.
So before you scroll down to the recipe, I thought you might like to learn a few fun facts about cauliflower.
Fun Fact #1: Cauliflower is low in fat and calories. In fact, for every cup eaten, you only consume 25 calories and less than 1 gram of fat. It is also a good source of fiber, which helps you stay full longer.
Fun Fact #2: The veggie contains a large amount of vitamin C. Just in case you don’t know, vitamin C is beneficial for boosting your immune system and maintaining good cardiovascular health.
Fun Fact #3: Cauliflower not only comes in the white variety, you can purchase it in other hues, including purple, orange, brown, yellow and green.
Fun Fact #4: It is very versatile. You can eat cauliflower raw, puree it into a sauce, slice and grill it like a steak and pickle it. The vegetable can also be substituted in recipes that call for rice and potatoes.
Fun Fact #5: Cauliflower is an annual plant, so its life cycle is one year.
- 1 bag Sprouts Riced Cauliflower
- 1 cup (packed) Sprouts Organic Farm Fresh Mint, leaves only
- ½ cup (packed) cilantro leaves
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ cup Sprouts Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ cups Sprouts Frozen Green Peas, thawed
- salt, to taste
- 4 cups green kale, leaves only and torn into small pieces
- 4 cups purple kale, leaves only and torn into small pieces
- 6 red radishes, stems removed and sliced thinly
- Garnishes: chopped green onions, fresh mint leaves and lemon wedges
- Coat a pan with nonstick spray and cook the riced cauliflower on medium-high heat just long enough to warm. Set aside to cool.
- In a blender, add the mint, cilantro, walnuts, parmesan, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Pulse the mixture until combined. Drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil while blending on low. Scrape the sides as needed with a spatula and continue blending until smooth.
- Combine the mint pesto, riced cauliflower and peas in a bowl and mix until combined. Season with salt as necessary.
- Divide the green kale, purple kale and radishes evenly between 4 dishes. Top with the cauliflower mix.
- Garnish and serve.
For more recipes that inspire, visit SproutsBrand.com.