A special thank you to Sprouts Farmers Market for sponsoring today’s recipe.
My favorite part about autumn, besides the leaves changing colors, is how overindulging in pumpkin is totally acceptable. Weather you’re using pumpkin puree to make a bundt cake or simply adding pumpkin spice to a dainty meringue cookie, no one is judging because we all love that anything pumpkin means a bite of warm flavors to comfort us as the temperatures cool.
To celebrate the fall, I partnered with Sprouts Farmers Market to share their collection of pumpkin staples. Stock your pantry with cookies and coffee or do what I did – pair a couple ingredients to make a seasonal pastry. My preference are these pumpkin pop tarts, a delightful breakfast treat. It is made with an easy cream cheese dough and filled with maple pumpkin butter. I topped with with cream cheese frosting infused with dark brown sugar and organic pumpkin pie spice. A quick trip to Sprouts’ bulk bin resulted in a crunchy topping of raw pecans and pumpkin seeds. Obviously, I didn’t skimp on the pumpkin, but why would I? It’s what makes autumn perfect. Scroll down for the complete recipe. You can also find it here, along with many other inspiring eats.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, room temperature and separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/3 cup Sprouts Maple Pumpkin Butter
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp Sprouts Organic Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- Make the dough by beating the butter and 6 ounces of cream cheese in a stand mixer. Once smooth, mix in the flour until combined. Divide the dough in half, and shape into balls. Cover separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before use.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Create a rectangular shape that is an 1/8-inch thick. Cut away the rough edges to create two large, equal-sized rectangles. Cut each sheet of dough into 8 smaller rectangles. Refrigerate as needed to keep the dough chilled.
- Fill half the dough with approximately 2 teaspoons of Sprouts Maple Pumpkin Butter. Tap the edges lightly with water, and top with another piece of dough. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Baked for approximately 20 minutes or until the edges turn slightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the icing by warming the remaining cream cheese in the microwave. Heat at 10-second intervals, mixing in between until the cheese is easily stirred with a spoon. Mix in the brown sugar and Sprouts Organic Pumpkin Pie Spice. Stir in enough almond milk to achieve the consistency desired.
- Frost the pop tarts with the icing, and top with pecans and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.