A special thank you to World Market for sponsoring today’s post.
I was fortunate to team up with World Market again to show you how to put together a fantastic Easter-inspired picnic spread that includes a special recipe for Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwiches. First of all, I must share my biggest picnic tip with you and that’s the need for a big container to transport my goodies. I am a huge fan of the Sebastian crate for this very purpose. Sturdy and large, the crate can carry all my bunny serving pieces as well as my utensils, linens and glassware. When filling the crate, make sure to use a blanket, like the Green Stripe Cotton Outdoor Throw, as padding to keep things from breaking. You can also wrap a blanket around the entire crate and knot it at the top to create handles for easy transport.
Now, when it comes to a picnic meal, I make it a point to plan every menu item with simplicity, for the exception of one. In this case, my sandwiches received an easy upgrade, while flavored iced tea, coleslaw and deviled eggs were made traditionally, so little effort was needed. My main course was Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwiches. The waffles, made of Carbon’s Golden Malted Pancake & Waffle Flour using World Market’s Retro Waffle Maker, were turned savory with the addition of pink Himalayan salt, chopped green onions and three types of cheddar cheese. The “buns” were then used to sandwich seasoned fried chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and ranch dressing. It’s a pretty perfect “sitting-on-the-grass” kind of meal. Give it a try and let me know what you think. The recipe is below.
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved to create 4 cutlets
- 2 tsp garlic powder, separated
- 1 tsp World Market Pink Himalayan Salt, separated
- 1/2 tsp World Market Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp World Market Tellicherry Pepper, coarsely ground and separated
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Carbon’s Golden Malted Pancake & Waffle Flour
- 1 cup shredded triple cheddar cheese (Vermont white cheddar, sharp cheddar and mild cheddar)
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp World Market Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 egg
- 5 oz water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Island Essentials Coconut Oil Spray
- sliced tomato
- ranch dressing
- To make the fried chicken: In a bowl, season the chicken with half the garlic powder, salt, pepper as well the cayenne pepper. Mix in the buttermilk, making sure to evenly coat the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour. Meanwhile, fill a fryer with vegetable oil and heat to 375 degrees F. In a shallow bowl mix together the self-rising flour and the remaining spices and in another, whisk the egg and milk. Coat each chicken cutlet with the flour mix, shaking off the excess flour, and then coat in the egg mixture. Return the chicken to the flour mix for one final coating and transfer to the fryer to cook for 6-8 minutes. Once cooked through and golden brown, transfer to a wire rack to drain. Repeat the breading and frying process for the remainder of the chicken.
- To make the waffles: Combine the first four ingredients a bowl. In a separate container, whisk the egg and water together; mix it into the flour mix. Whisk in the butter. Turn on the Retro Waffle Maker and wait for the green light to disappear, which signals it is hot and ready for batter. Coat the plates with coconut oil spray and add 1/4 cup of batter onto each side of the waffle maker. Close and cook for approximately 6 minutes, until golden. Remove the waffles with a wooden or plastic spatula. Continue making more until no batter is left.
- Assemble: Top one waffle with a piece of fried chicken, lettuce, tomato and ranch. Top with another waffle and secure with a Bamboo Knot Pick. Repeat until four sandwiches are made. Slice in half and serve.
Make sure to get all the essentials for this picnic at World Market. To make it easy for you, here are the items I picked up:
Retro Waffle Maker | Carbon’s Golden Malted Pancake & Waffle Flour | World Market Pink Himalayan Salt | World Market Tellicherry Pepper | World Market Organic Cayenne Pepper | Island Essentials Coconut Oil Spray | Ivory Distressed Bunny Plates | Bamboo Knot Picks | Ivory Distressed Bunny 6 Egg Platter | Ivory Distressed Bunny Serving Bowl | Small Olivewood Spoon | The Republic of Tea Ginger Peach Black Iced Tea | Savannah Embossed Drink Dispenser | Tall Iced Tea Glasses | Sebastian Crate | Green Stripe Cotton Outdoor Throw | Aqua 100% Linen Napkins | Gold Metallic Stamped Wood Cutlery Set
For more Easter inspiration, these ladies are posting some pretty awesome ideas. Take a look for yourself.