There’s still plenty of time to make something wonderful for New Year’s Eve. In fact, you can make this Blood Orange + Beet Relish today and store it in your refrigerator, so you have one less thing to prepare on the big day. I like serving this with slightly charred slices of baguettes. Endives would be lovely too.
- 8 medium-sized beets, scrubbed clean, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 blood orange, skin and pith removed and then diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- Steam the beets by placing them in a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 2 inches of simmering water. Cover and steam for up to 20 minutes. Drain the beets. Dice into smaller pieces if you prefer.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Heather Christo