Since I’m trying my hardest to eat healthy, I’m attempting to make more meals that are low in carbs. I’m not nixing carbs altogether, that’s silly, but I know the amount I enjoy consuming will never be offset by my time in the gym. Yes, I like that much bread, pasta and rice. Honestly, I have more trouble with eating carbs than I do snacking on sugary treats. Luckily, Chicken Lettuce Wraps are super easy to make and trick my mind into thinking I’m eating a fusion of tacos and Asian stir-fry.
This dish is made with the freshest of ingredients, and a squeeze of lime is all you need to elevate the vibrant flavors. Feel free to add more chili paste if you like super spicy foods. Also, if crisp bibb lettuce is not handy, butter lettuce works just fine. I used bibb simply because it’s a bit smaller, and it seems to be a touch sturdier.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced small
- 3 chicken breasts, diced small
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek chili paste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 heads bibb lettuce, stems removed
- 1/2 cucumber, julienne
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup fried red onions
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a large pan, add the oil, garlic and onions and cook on medium-high heat, until the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the chicken and cook until the meat is white, stirring as needed.
- Stir in the soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili paste, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the meat turns golden and the juices from the chicken reduces to a thick sauce that only coats the meat.
- Assemble by place a lettuce leaf on a plate and topping it with a spoonful of the chicken, cucumbers, green onions, cilantro and fried red onions. Repeat until all the lettuce cups are filled.
- Serve immediately with wedges of lime.