Where has the month gone?! I feel like summer was here just weeks ago. With the days flying by and knowing that it won’t slow down as we head into the holidays, I need to make sure I enjoy healthier meals that will keep me energized. And while some may believe SAVEUR is filled with tough recipes from around the world, the magazine actually offers many simple dishes that you may already have ingredients for. Case in point, this Rucola con Pecorino, Pignoli e Pere, a salad from Montefalco, Italy that pairs plump raisins with salty pecorino romano cheese and peppery arugula. It’s perfect for a quick lunch or a light appetizer. Give it a try!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 oz baby arugula
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz pecorino romano cheese
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the water and raisins. Allow the raisins to soak for 20 minutes.
- Toss the pears in lemon juice; set aside.
- Arrange the arugula on a serving platter and season with salt and pepper. Top with the pears, and shave pecorino romano cheese over the top. Sprinkle on the raisins (after draining the water) and pine nuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, if preferred. Evenly drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Recipe courtesy of SAVEUR