We all have a weak spot for a certain type of food. For the hubby and myself, it’s pizza. A perfect dish for busy weeks, it is also our go-to when we simply don’t feel like cooking or baking. Thankfully, I did feel like baking today and came up with these Pizza Bites. They are perfect for snacking and so much fun to dunk in warm pizza sauce. My favorite part is the flaky pie crust that is dusted with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
- 1 box Pillsbury Pie Crusts
- 40 slices pepperoni
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 20 pieces
- 1 egg
- garlic powder
- parmesan cheese, grated
- pizza sauce
- basil, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Coat lightly with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Unroll a sheet of pie crust and use a 3-inch cookie cutter to cut out 10 circles. Roll out the excess dough, if needed, to create enough pie rounds.
- Using your fingers, stretch the dough out slightly to make the rounds a bit larger. Fill each round with 2 slices of pepperoni and 1 slice of mozzarella. Fold the dough over and use a fork dusted with flour to crimp the edges. Transfer the filled pizza bites to the baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the remaining pie dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg and 2 tablespoons water to create an egg wash. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the bites with the egg wash. Make sure to brush all the edges.
- Dust the pizza bites lightly with garlic powder and parmesan cheese to your liking.
- Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with pizza sauce topped with chopped basil, if using.