It’s funny, I just finished reading my review of 2012 and it made me so thankful for such a wonderful year. To be honest 2013 was a year of growth for me. While many wonderful things happened, which I am grateful for, so did a lot of bad unfortunately. 2013 tested me more than I could’ve ever known, and those closest to me saw more tears shed than I think I’ve ever had in my entire life (you probably noticed by the silence on my blog for different periods of time). I learned a lot about myself and though it was a tough year, I was fortunate to have the support of so many people and loved ones that the year turned out pretty well in the end. A gal couldn’t ask for more. So here we go – a look back on 2013.
What I learned:
– Taking on a job in a field you are passionate about is so much tougher when it does not live up to your expectations. It is even harder to tell people you decided to move past the job because it lacked the enthusiasm and passion to be truly meaningful and advantageous…even with the perks of going to some of the best food events.
– When you least expect it, people (family or not) will be there to remind you that your dream is still attainable and they believe in you.
– There are still wonderful, passionate people in the world. Thank you for everyone kind enough to listen to me as I went through tough times, and a special thank you to my readers for your patience and for still coming back to support my blog.
What I didn’t tell you:
– I tried out for MasterChef and made it past the taste testing and first two rounds of interviews. It was a long, tiring process to say the least. I met some nice people, ran into some I knew and though I was still in the running to be considered after the tryout, I was not selected for this upcoming season. I am most proud that they at least liked my food.
– I ran the Women’s Half Marathon in November and though a small injury did occur, I finished with a smile.
– While I am not a portrait photographer by any means, I did have the opportunity to snap a few photos for my friend who welcomed a healthy new baby the end of the year as well as a few for her extended family. Boy, it was tough transitioning from still objects to moving people and finding a suitable location. Kudos to portrait photographers – much respect.
– You may have noticed a change to my overall site and brand. That’s thanks to my kind friends over at Greenhouse Creative. They are truly a team to be reckoned with when it comes to building a solid look for your brand, and I should mention, they are sweethearts to work with.
Where my work was featured:
– Easter Egg Hunt & Decorating Party
– Brunch with The TomKat Studio and Cupcake Vineyards
– TomKat Holiday Gift Guide
– EMMA Magazine: Winter Soup Bar
– REstyleSOURCE: Picnic for Two (Yikes! I forgot to share this with you. No worries, I will in the near future.)
And now for my 2014 resolutions. This year I want to practice more food culture and lifestyle photography. There is such an art to the way food is created, prepared and enjoyed, and I want to capture that to share its story. I also told myself I would go beyond just a single photo and share more detailed shots of the food I make. It’ll be a great way to challenge myself and explore food from different perspectives. That’s also a bonus for you because you’ll get more eye candy – hooray!
It may not seem like a lot of resolutions, but they are tough ones for sure and plenty because this year is a biggie. 2014 will include the celebration of our 10-year wedding anniversary and if all goes as planned, by the end of the year Ben and I will be jumping for joy with diplomas in hand. Oh and I should mention I am beginning a new job as a Senior Writer this month. It’ll be good to get this under my belt, so I am one step closer to becoming an Editor and then Food Editor. A girl can reach for the stars right?
What were your 2013 highlights, and do you have 2014 resolutions?