It’s our pupparoos’ birthdays today. Yippee! Halo and Buster are officially seven and you’d never even know they’ve aged a year. Halo still chases around the laser pointer like a young pup, and Buster pounces around in the bed sheets like he’s taking on the world. We love these two and are so happy to celebrate another birthday with them. While our parties have gotten smaller over the years, we still make sure to bake a little something sweet that we know they’ll enjoy. This year the pups are munching on some Mini Carrot Bundt Cakes – oh yeah! Then off to the park we’ll go to enjoy the company of a few furry friends. Happy birthday pups! We love you.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup whole wheat oats
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 oz neufchatel or light cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat mini bundt pans with nonstick cooking spray (muffin tins work fine too).
- In a bowl, mix together the carrots, eggs, 1/2 cup applesauce, cinnamon, ginger and honey until combined. Stir in the oats and flour; use your hands as necessary to mix well as the dough will be thick.
- Divide the dough evenly amongst the bundt pans and use your fingers to lightly press the dough into the molds. The dough does not rise much so fill to the rim of the pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes; then transfer and invert cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix the neufchatel or light cream cheese with the remaining applesauce and frost the cakes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.