As I devour buttery rolls, flaky biscuits and quick breads that make my heart skip a beat, all along I didn’t know I was missing Orange Rolls. Boy, do I feel silly. Never did I know bread could be so yummy. A simple sweetness and slightly dense, but still soft inside seems just right when you want something filling and almost dessert-like. Thank you to my friend for mentioning how much you loved them growing up, so I can finally make my version to share.
- Dough Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- juice from 1/2 orange
- zest from 1 orange
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside for 5 minutes.
- To make the dough, use a separate stand mixer to combine eggs, sugar, salt and cardamom together; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the milk. As the mixer is on medium-low speed, slowly pour the butter mixture into the egg mixture. Add the yeast mixture and 2 cups flour and continue mixing until the dough is smooth. Add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time. Only use enough flour to form a smooth, but sticky dough, and be sure not to add more than 5 cups. Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the filling, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to blend.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 muffin pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Lightly dust the work area and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough into a rectangle. Spread the melted butter and orange mixture on the dough leaving a half-inch border around the sides. Roll the dough beginning at the long side of the rectangle. Cut roll into 24 slices and place in the prepared muffin pans. Cover with plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size on the counter.
- Place the muffin pans on a cookie sheet to catch any drippings, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove the muffins from the oven and flip rolls out onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper to allow the orange glaze to drizzle over the rolls before serving.
Recipe adapted from Simply So Good