Fall is officially here which means I can finally eat pumpkin without feeling unseasonably confused. While Arizona is still quite warm, I can close my eyes and imagine the leaves changing colors, light scarves and sweaters being shuffled out of boxes to be worn and Fall inspired meals of harvest-y foods like pears, squash and apples. I love this time of year because it reminds me of the holidays and truthfully, the thought of a good workout followed by a well-earned gust of cool air hitting my face as I leave the gym is absolutely wonderful.
Anyways, to kick off the Fall season I made something extra special to share with my loved one - Pumpkin Pie Rice Crispy Treats. Nothing says let’s relax together like a pan of crispy rice cereal that’s been flavored to taste like pumpkin pie. It was a treat indeed!
- 16 oz bag marshmallows
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp golden brown sugar
- 6-7 cups rice cereal
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Over low heat, melt the marshmallow and butter in a large pot stirring constantly.
- Add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, salt and brown sugar; mix thoroughly before adding the rice cereal.
- Once the cereal is completely coated with the marshmallow mixture, fold in the pepitas.
- Transfer the mixture to a plastic wrap-lined 9"x9" pan and spread evenly. Using another piece of plastic wrap, pat the top of the mixture to compress it all together.
- Allow the crispy treats to cool for a minimum of one hour before cutting and serving.