Refreshing – this is all I need right now when the weather is so hot and believe it or not, Arizona is quite humid (monsoon season). I thought moving to the desert would mean dry heat, but I guess not all the time. But I can’t complain, I love the rain because it reminds me of home plus it helps to remedy my terrible sleeping habits and my backyard plants are enjoying the moisture in the air that mimics their natural tropical environments. So more sleep and happy plants equals a big smile for me.
Being refreshed doesn’t only mean taking a dip in the pool…for me it’s about eating something chilled, light and healthy. Simple is a bonus too. Cucumber Salad sounds about right. This is such an easy recipe and one I made up based on some things I learned from my mom growing up which includes working with what you have on hand and staying true to the natural flavors of the ingredients you are using. Great tips to live by indeed when cooking.
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped
- In a bowl, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar. Add the black pepper and onions to marinade in the vinegar for a minimum of 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Combine the cucumber and green onions to the vinegar/onion mixture; toss lightly to coat. Serve immediately.