Meat and potatoes – isn’t that just the absolute best combo? Hearty, manly and oh-so-good. But for me, it’s really about the potatoes. I always see potatoes prepared mashed, roasted or baked and topped with butter, cheese and bacon, but is there any other way to prepare them? You don’t want food to be boring; it has to be a feast for the eyes and stomach.
So I experimented with my version of croquettes. To be honest, these round shaped patties would’ve been much easier to handle if I had firmer mashed potatoes, but of course, I love my mash creamy and that’s what I had to work with. Be forewarned though: try this recipe with denser mash. Besides that, I loved these croquettes. The breading added a slight crunch to my creamy potatoes and the cheese gave it a touch of saltiness that was fabulous. I would be happy to serve these alongside a steak any day.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, cold
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and coat a foil-lined baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, parsley and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and parmigiano reggiano. Use a spoon to drop a heaping tablespoonful of the potato mixture into the breading and use your hands to spoon the bread mixture over the top. Form a round patty and place it on the prepared pan. Repeat to make the remaining patties and make sure to line the patties 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then turn on the broiler to brown the tops for approximately 3 minutes. Allow the croquettes to cool on the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a platter.