First off, sugar cookies are just about my fave treat. Being a bit of a plain Jane, I’ve learned to appreciate simple flavors that are showcased to its fullest. That’s why these Cinnamon Sugar Squares make me so happy.
A mix between a sugar cookie and dessert bar (almost brownie-like in texture), the simplistic flavor is elevated with the addition of cinnamon. Because these are quite sweet, eating a couple of squares was plenty for me, but I could definitely eat more if I was looking to indulge.
If you would like a little something extra, mixing these Cinnamon Sugar Squares into vanilla bean ice cream is divine.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, coat a 9"x13" baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment ensuring there is an overhang.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, oil, eggs, milk and extract until thoroughly combined.
- Continue beating and add salt, baking soda and flour. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly using a spatula. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the top of the batter and bake for 25-30 minutes; the edges will be lightly browned.
- Allow 15 minutes for cooling, then lift the dessert from the pan using the parchment overhang and cut into bite-size squares.
Adapted from Momofuku