I find that a simple cake recipe can be just as good as a recipe that may take hours to complete. I for one find myself running out of time everyday to complete everything I’d like to and sometimes wondering why there aren’t more hours in the day. These are the days when I could truly use a treat – something that will make me pause a moment to enjoy life in general. But when you add layers and layers of cake plus the frosting…well really, we don’t always have time for that.
The solution: a simple chocolate cake, my Chocolate Yogurt Cake to be exact. This is a no-frills cake that I absolutely love. It doesn’t require a lot of work, just a bit of time to bake. When you eat it, you think there’s something special that is accompanied by the light flavor of chocolate and that special something is a touch of cinnamon. Like espresso and coffee, cinnamon brings out a wonderful taste in chocolate; I can only describe the pairing in this cake to be joyful. Does “joyful” taste like anything? I guess it does now.
So tonight, don’t skip out on dessert. Take a moment to breathe and enjoy the hard work you’ve put into the day with a slice of joyful Chocolate Yogurt Cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional, but highly recommended – vanilla bean is my preference)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Using a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Whisk the flour mixture slowly into the yogurt mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, level off with a spatula and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pan to cool completely on a rack.
- When cooled to room temperature, slice and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Adapted from Whole Foods