Bread pudding is such a wonderful treat, but have you ever wondered what it would taste like if it were savory? Well, someone did before me and created a savory bread pudding that has been dubbed the name strata. You can put just about any ingredient you want in this dish; I chose bacon and jalapeno because that’s what I had on hand and it turned out great alongside a Lemon Thyme Chicken.
For the base, I used my Dutch Oven Bread that was dense and did a wonderful job absorbing the “custard.” I also decided to leave in the jalapeno seeds for an added kick, but you can feel free to discard the seeds if you prefer something less spicy. Of course, I couldn’t leave out topping my strata with sharp cheddar cheese. That was definitely the “icing on the cake.”
- 6-7 cups bread, cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked
- Coat a baking dish (I used a 10-inch oval dish) with nonstick spray. Layer the bread, onion, jalapeno, garlic and cheddar evenly in the dish in that order.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours; overnight is best.
- Allow the the dish to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while the oven preheats to 350 degrees F. Before baking, crumble the bacon over the top of the layered bread mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve warm.